Thursday, October 8, 2009

If your going to ask for something don't be stupid at least read the friggin Menu first!!!

Here’s my thought for today, you know I get requests everyday for sponsorships (because most of you sent them to me). Every team, clan, internet pod cast, you tube channel, etc all want to be sponsored.

What exactly does “sponsored” mean???

This seems to be a hard thing for most of you gamers to articulate, I hear responses like this:
- We want to be associated with Xfuel
- We want to have the Xfuel logo on our jerseys
- We want to be an Xfuel team and travel to tournaments for you
- We want to be on the Xfuel website, we want Xfuel to be on our website
- We want to be partnered with Xfuel
- We just want money to do the things we need to grow our teams

The list goes on and on and I’m going to spend several days on this subject so read, think about it and read what I write again!

It goes back to my son Frozenghost001 and how I believe gaming has helped change the way he goes through life. I think as I get older (47 yrs old in 2 more weeks) I feel myself wanting to give back to this community and here I have a great audience of young people whom many of which have great potential, big enough balls to ask companies for money and some degree of natural internet marketing skills – yet most of you are missing the same couple key ingredients in my mind to succeed in being able to finance their dreams.

I’ll start with, “you need to know what you want before you ask someone for something

I know this sounds very simple but it’s not, you go into McDonald’s look at the menu, decide what you’re having. When the person behind the counter asks “may I help you”, without hesitation you are able to clearly and concisely ask for a “number 13 meal with a Dr Pepper (for you MLG'ers)”.

When you’re asking me or any other sponsor for something you need to know what you’re asking for and ask for that, you can not say some of the things I listed above – they are too vague!!!!

I can’t read minds, I don’t understand “associated with” or “partnered with”, like I told one team leader, “give me a check for $500,000 and you get 5% of Xfuel and we are now partnered”.

Know what you want to get out of it, ask for it and then you can negotiate.

I have plenty to teach you so sit back, keep reading and then try some of my suggestions – you’ll see a difference!

5 comments:

  1. I agree completely

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I wholeheartedly agree with this, I don't know that it needed to be posted. I used to run a website where we sponsored teams and I figured if the team wasn't mature enough to handle dealing with an organization professionally, then I shouldn't bother sponsoring them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did it needed to be posted? Simple people need to be taught what to do. Do you have children of your own? When the waitress walks up to the table you need to teach your child to say "I would like chicken fingers and fries", good comunication is not an instinct. Read the next few days, you might think it's self explanatory, but.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully said Joe, I have tried to get that accrossed to every team that emails me a request for sponsorship or partnership. None of them can articulate what they want from me exactly. Do they want free web hosting, do they need a game server. They just use words like "partnership, and assosiated"

    Good call on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe in yourself and sell yourself to sponsors and your odds of sponsorships will increase. On the other side you have to deliver for your sponsor as well, don't ask for something if you can't give something in return.

    ReplyDelete