Saturday, October 31, 2009

Do not give up on your dreams or your sites

Howie emails the blogs out some days so rather than a link (which I hate and won't open 99% of the time) he emails out the whole text version of it. What I find funny about this is since he started this we've gotten a few, "Joe you're too harsh, Joe you're pushing the kids to work for you and that is terrible, Joe you're offensive, yada, yada, yada."

Would you like me to tell you to keep working day and night on your gamer website just the way you've been and you'll be just like MLG, which many of you reference in your notes, "We'll be the next MLG, we'll be bigger than MLG!"

I'm pretty sure about 99.9% you won't be the next MLG and anyone that tells you, you will is just being nice to you. I get comments like, "these kids have dreams and you crush them!"

What's more crushing letting you go down a path that 99.9999% of the gaming websites go which is start out slow, build a few followers and find out it takes money to keep the site going, that people can't volunteer their time forever and the sites die a slow death. How many sites do you come across that have not had activity for weeks or months - plenty!!! That money allows you to get technology into your site and keep viewers interested, offer new things, etc - what friggin part of that is not true? Someone have balls enough to make a comment on that and stop these behind the scenes remarks to me!

So, what's the difference between you and MLG - they have money you don't - how about that?

My father said to me when I wanted to expand the trucking business into a new market, "Joey, if you can't make money with 1 truck you won't be able to make money with 10 trucks." He was right, if you start something as a loser it stays a loser. Wal-Mart makes huge money because it sells lots of things to lots of people - did Sam Walton open his first store by saying, "I'm going to loose money on this one store and until we open 10 stores we won't a dime"?

You know the answer, Sam Walton made money on his first store and that enabled him to get 2 stores and so on. If his first store was a loser he would have not been able to open any more stores and would have closed!

This is one lesson I keep trying to get across to you all, if you start your site on the premise that "I will put all this time into it and then after "enough" members then I can get advertisers to pay me to be on my site", does not really work all that well unless you have the money to carry you until it gets big enough - money to buy technology, money to pay workers, money to get to events and cover them, etc, etc.

What I don't want to happen is for you to give up on your dreams and ambitions. So for those few people that are MF*ing me, go to Hell!

I'm betting I do more when this is over to help more young people get ahead than you will by telling them what they want to hear and when they fail or fold will you be standing there with check to bail them out or will you tell them "You tried, it's OK"????

Why not try and start them out right and on a good footing????

No comments:

Post a Comment