Sunday, October 18, 2009

My story

Wow, wow, wow is about all I can say at this point. I got so many emails from people about these recent posts; some are so scary. I don’t think I can be sarcastic today, you know 47 yrs old and feeling it - LOL!

Some of you people just need to belong to something so bad it breaks my heart; I just don’t have the money to help you all. I’ll tell you my story.

When I was young I loved to fish and was fortunate enough that my father had a small boat and I lived to fish (don’t forget there were no video games, computers etc when I was 13 years old). Long story short I stuttered very bad and I had a job washing peoples boats mostly the bigger boats who could afford to pay someone. I used to take a train from Perth Amboy, NJ to Belmar NJ everyday during the summer to clean boats at 13 yrs old by myself. I made about $500 a week when I hustled from boat to boat with tips and extras. I worked my ass off!!!

I really thought because I couldn’t talk to people well that I needed to do work like that, I could only work with my hands, not my mouth – pretty sad and full of self-pity. One day I met someone who changed my life; he reads this so he knows who he is. He gave me a full time job working on their boat and I still did the free lance but most of my time was spent with his boat. After I graduated High School he steered me toward a trade college because I wouldn’t go to regular college, had the grades and brains just didn’t like the whole college scene, I was a very loner type. Had there been Xbox Live I would have lived on it!!!!

When I read some of your stories I’m reminded of myself and I see some of that same maybe unconfident streak in my kids as well today.

Anyway, as a present he helped my parents and I get started running our own cross country trucks when I was 17 yrs old – he taught me business at an early age. I can go on and on but the story turned out well, I’ve had ups and downs but I can say we did well, have 3 great kids and a beautiful wife of 24 years!

People what I’m doing for you is giving you the same type of chance I was given. I’m giving you the way to help fund yourself by selling your tee-shirts and our drinks, letting you use your brains and your ability to network on the web behind the computer screen and not live in the back of a tractor trailer unless you want to.

Let me tell you, I love trucking, I still get excited by a big KW with an 86” studio on it, give me the KTTA 650 in my old Pete and I was a happy camper!!

Nothing wrong with a trade, I did it for years but so many of you have such god given raw talent, put it to use and try to make money without breaking your ass. You can make your money on the web and dig ditches because you like to and want the exercise!!!!

Thank you for allowing me to share this with you all!

1 comment: